Pages

Friday, January 23, 2009

A Hard Day for Kiki














"The most destructive element in the human mind is fear. Fear creates aggressiveness."
-Dorothy Thompson

I didn't have a chance to take photos of our morning walk: we were attacked by two dogs! The first was a mean, cunning female who actually tried twice to bight Kiki, but I managed to beat her off with the handle of my leash. Then, fifteen minutes later, when my heart had finally stopped pounding, there came the next dog, a big, blundering male who circled us and jumped on us for over five minutes while his owner struggled up the hill, calling his name over and over. It took all my strength to keep these dogs from hurting Kiki, and the only positive thing I could take out of this experience was that I know I am capable of protecting her. 
This photo wasn't taken today, but certainly suits the day perfectly. "Please, don't eat me!" (What her face was actually saying was "Please don't bathe me!")
But what the quote says above is very true. While I was fending for Kiki's safety, all I felt were fear and aggression. I yelled and kicked and hit. And my body is still feeling it, as if it were a poison which enters the system. Yes, now that I think of it, I remember in the movie Apocolypto the elder saying that fear is a contagious disease, and you must do everything in your power to steer clear of it. I wish I were able to protect Kiki, but remain fearless at the same time. For now, I will breath deep, drink my chai coffee, and think calming thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. My poor babies!...War's Die Schierche Anke?
    What a shocking expierience...I wonder if tazers cost a lot...it would be good to have one for you for these walks. Those dogs would have learned a pretty good lesson which you almost owe them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately tazers are illegal in Austria. And using pepper spray could also end up Kiki's eyes, although I have started thinking of carrying that on me. I am going to check out what the laws are on using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too late, I already bought a stun gun for Ya! Yup!!!You sure they are illegal? Even to use on dogs? Darn...I guess I'll have to send it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you via Susan Branch. I have a Cavie too, and he's been attacked twice, once badly by a Bernese Mountain Dog. I wonder why, when he's such a sweet, docile little guy?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails