Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Butternut Fries!


I was sure I would like them (I love almost anything when it's salted and roasted), but when it came to my husband I was sceptical. The recipe was one of the easiest things I ever made: peel and seed a butternut squash, slice into thin sticks, heat the oven to 425°, place 'fries' in one layer on a baking sheet layed out with baking paper, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, bake until golden for about 20 minutes, turning over halfway through. Voila. That's it. Easy-peasy!
When Ramon got home there was breaded fish frying in the pan and I had boiled, sliced beets marinating in a balsamic dressing. I pulled out the pan of butternut fries and he eyed them with suspicion (he is always very suspicious of vegetables and things he has never tried). "What are those?" Before I could answer he had one in his mouth. "Mmmmmmh!!!" He grabbed another, and another. "What is it? It's not yam...it's not potato..." "It's butternut squash," I said, beaming with pride. He loved them! 
We're having them again tonight. Let me tell you, these will be a mainstay in our diet. They fulfill the ideal criteria: simple, healthy, delicious. They have this yummy consistancy of sticky, chewy, velvety...and the taste is a perfect mix of subtly sweet and salty. They are truly addictive.
Try'em out and let me know what you think!

9 comments:

  1. YUM!!!!!!!!!! I will be looking for more great Autumn-ish recipes from you, Country Girl! I don't have many good ones, and since we are a little farther North this year, I expect to have a nice Autumn, for which I will need to serve nice Autumn Foods!

    Your photographs are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious, and BEAUTIFUL! What a great recipe!

    Thanks Dawn!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butternut squash in all forms! Yum! Glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed them! What vegetables does he not like? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great inspiration...fall is here and butternut squash my favorite also.
    Thank you for sharing this and yes, the photos are lovely.
    Can't wait to eat your cooking:)
    Yomom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curious Cat, let's put it this way: If ever I would need to hide something from him, the perfect place would be the vegetable crisper! I don't think he's ever looked in there in his life...he may not even know it exists.
    His dream would be to live on a diet of meat, berries, avocados, raw milk, eggs, and bacon. Like a mountain man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and to be fair, the photo at the top isn't mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ammmmmmmazing. i so want some of these right about now. thanks for all the kind comments, i appreciate you. have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!!! I am with you! Anything salty & roasted. I adore squash. These sound fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy :) It is funny as I often make roast butternut squash, but I cut into wedges rather than fries so I will try the long skinny fries next time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails