Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

squirrels everywhere!

On my morning walk with Kiki I spotted five squirrels! Almost all of them had something in their mouths, mostly hazelnuts still in their green velvety husks from what I could tell. I saw the first one right when I stepped out of the door and had to hold back laughter: it was climbing the outside wall of the neighbouring building and then froze, like a ninja on very secretive business, until we had passed. 
It's a cool, overcast day, and everything is wet from the night rain. It was glorious to wake up to the sound of it on the window in the pitch black, and snuggle under the blankets which we have been sleeping on top of because of the recent heat. This rain and cool weather is such a relief for me, and I loved zipping up my raincoat and grabbing an umbrella before setting out. 
Hubby had to go to the office for an hour, and on his way home he's picking up some movies to watch cuddled up on the couch. I'll be baking corbread and bubbling up homemade applesauce. It's just one of those days that calls for being cozy!

4 comments:

  1. Wow I have never seen a black squirrel before! Our native squirrels are red, but the grey ones have invaded, so now they live only on the Isle Of Wight and the beautiful Brownsea Island http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-brownsea_island/
    in Poole harbour. We went there last summer and we managed to see only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have all three colours here, red grey and black (or more like a dark, dark grey).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't it look wonderful against the Autumn leaves! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn and Kiki.
    I too have never seen a black squirrel, and I love squirrels.
    We have been in a heat wave to end all heat waves. Got 112 degrees here. It wasn't fun. I had to run cool water over Buddy about every 20 minutes. I didn't leave the house so I could keep an eye on him. He is a trooper, he made it though.It is alot cooler today, still warm, but I want fall....

    More later,
    Kary and Buddy
    p.s. have been out of blogworld because it is too hot to move.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails