Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

chewy coconut cookies






Maybe you're thinking that I'm on a mission to crush all those New Year's resolutions you made, what with the Coffee Crunch Bar recipe and now these. And you're right....because I want you to make a new one, the one I made: EAT THE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY. You don't have to eat truck loads of those things. But I'm here to tell you that if baking up a batch of cookies makes you feel happy then you know what? Life is too short to constantly resist those urges. I like the quote I read somewhere: Think of all those women on the Titanic, waving away the dessert cart.
Don't be one of those women.
Here's a favorite part of mine from a charming book called Swell: A Girl's Guide to the Good Life :

"The most appealing girl in the room isn't the sallow-cheeked coat-hanger picking at her salad. It's the bonne vivante who knows the right oysters to order before dinner, how they distill single malt scotch, and how to say yes to dessert."

Isn't that so true?
So, without further ado, here it is; my recipe for the chewiest, most irresistable coconut cookies. 
You definitely won't be able to eat just one...or two....or three......


Chewy Coconut Cookies


1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups flaked unsweetened coconut (or grated fresh coconut like I used)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)


Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in the flour mixture, then mix in the coconut. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart. Careful as they will spread a bit.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly toasted. Let them cool for about a minute on the hot sheet before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.







*note: delicious additions to these are chopped macadamia nuts or white chocolate chunks



Hope these find their way into your cookie jar soon...
Love, xoxo
country girl


TODAY, ONE YEAR AGO: the woods would be very silent... 

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you Dawn, life can be too short so we have to make the most of every day and enjoy a cookie or two! Thank you for the recipe, I may make them on the weekend
    Love Morwenna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, YUM! How gorgeous these sound Dawn! If I hadn't just cleared up the kitchen after baking all afternoon i'd be tempted to go straight back in & make them! I so agree too about a little of what you fancy...life's too short & as long as you take moderation in all things, anything goes! How many more cliches can I fit into one sentence.....? But they all fit! Thanks for the lovely beauty spots too, I added one today xoxo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. well this was timely..just this morning as john and i were walking buddy..we were saying how sad it is to see people that live on water and lettuce..just to be thin....and then...one day..they are gone....and to think of all of life's pleasures they missed just so they could be so painfully thin.....

    so, i will be making these cookies...and enjoying them too.....thet look amazing...

    thanks for sharing the recipe.....

    Love,
    kary and buddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a perfect recipe to add to my files. Merci beaucoup from Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks so easy and 'oh so good'. I can't wait to try it this week. We are having a 'wintery--stay at home' week, so a few cookies would just make our day! As a "Red Hatter" our motto is "eat dessert first", so before we have homemade soup this week--what would be better than cookies to go with it??

    Thanks for sharing!
    Gert xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. eating half the batter before it can make it in the oven is what makes me happy! I've got some catching up to do on trying these recipes... I'm thinking I'll make the coffee crunch bars this weekend. ANd I still have the macaroon recipe you sent me to try. TIME TO GET A BAKIN' ROUND HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. one of my *secrets* is to bake them and then send half to work with hubby for he and his coworkers before I can devour them all in one sitting :) That way, I've shared the joy, and I ration them over several days because I feel like I don't have many left!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your attitude girl! That quote about the Titanic - although it should not be funny, it sort of is...well, it is ironic... I think curves are good too, they usually indicate that one is happy...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant quote! And those biscuits look delicious, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love that quote!
    xo
    and i So want to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, you're just my kind of girl! :D Enjoy life and all its wonderful treats while you can. :) I'm not saying I would like to get fat, but my motto is: eat what you like, and increase your activity level instead. Or something like that. It's all about finding the good reasons why you should allow yourself something good. I mean - do I wanna be sad and skinny or happy and chubby? I'd go for the latter! ;D At least the happy part.

    Anyway. These look delicious! I gotta try them. :) And coconut is really good for your skin too! (there's a good reason for you)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails