Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

38 Weeks


Yesterday in the late afternoon my mother in law joined me for a walk in the woods....you all know the new rule: no more walks in the forest alone for me this late in pregnancy.

As we walked, some parts of it uphill, I was so pleased to find that I wasn't much more winded than I would have been if I wasn't in my 9th month. I really have the dogs to thank for this. They have forced me to keep fit throughout this pregnancy! And I'm guessing they will also help me lose the pregnancy weight once Rafael is here.

I have become very aware that these are my last days carrying my son in my belly. I am also very aware that these are the final days of it just being myself, my husband, and the dogs. For at least the next 18 years, we will have another person sharing this life with us, living with us, being a part of this home and family. The thought is both exciting and overwhelming.

Here's this week's update:

How far along? 38 weeks.

Total weight gain: 21 pounds.

How big is baby? A little under 7 pounds.

Sleep: I slept SO WELL these past two nights! When I told Ramon about it, he reminded me that our midwife had said that, before birth, I will have a phase where I sleep wonderfully and deeply. She was definitely right. It has made such a difference in my days to have had a good night's sleep. I know there is probably a lot of sleep deprivation ahead, so I am enjoying every night that I sleep well.

Best moment of the week: That will be tonight, when my husband comes home from his final business trip of the year. It will be such a relief once he is back. We were nervous about him traveling this close to Rafael's due date. But it looks like we made it!

Movement: I had a scare the day before yesterday, when Raffi didn't move almost all day. At around 4 in the afternoon I finally decided to call my midwife, because he just wasn't moving. Right before dialing, he kicked me, and then spent the next two hours kicking and punching up a storm. I was so relieved. He has been moving pretty regularly since then. I'm guessing it was a growth spurt or a really long sleep that had him so still on that one day.

Food cravings: I've been craving breaded chicken breasts. Hot or cold. I just love fried chicken right now! Also loving strawberry buttermilk.

Belly button in or out? Very flat.

Stretch Marks? Discovered some stretch marks in a place I never expected: inner thighs! How strange.

What I miss: My normal hands, feet, and FACE; all three are very puffy right now. Hopefully they will be back to normal after birth.

What I'm looking forward to: Having my husband home so I can feel relaxed about giving birth. And of course, I am looking forward to birth itself!

Milestone: Rafael is officially full term and can arrive whenever he likes!


xoxoxo

14 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you reached that magic milestone where you don't have to worry anymore about the little one showing up prematurely! (I am betting for a September 14 due date.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy and relieved that you've come this far, that Raphael is ready to come and that your DH will now be home.

    Love and hugs to the three of you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww!!! So excited - just a matter of days now!!!! Can't wait! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is magically how our bodies can transform like it does and yes the swelling will go away after birth and all the walking you've done, will really help with the birth, you did great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoying these updates, and am very excited for you. All the best with your birth,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful... I'm so excited for you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look beautiful....i think about you every day...knowing soon Rafael will be in your arms....

    i am getting so excited for you...
    loved seeing the village you live in...just darling.... and you KNOW i LOVE the pumpkins..still searching here for my first one !!!

    sending love,
    kary and little teddy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh it looks like baby has dropped ready for the birth... just look at your beautiful belly :)

    I have found pregnancy incredibly tough healthwise, and so haven't cherished it as much as I wanted because I was in "survival mode" but I have to say that reaching full term has made me more aware of this and how I need to cherish every moment as we aren't planning on doing this again. Isn't it strange thinking that soon they will be in our arms and our bodies will be all our own again?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please know you look beautiful! I miss being pregnant and my Princess is already 6 yrs. old!
    Enjoy and savor every moment, I shall be back to "check" on you :)
    By the way, I've been a "lurker" for a long time but I enjoy reading your posts and looking at all your beautiful photos.
    Have a fantastic week ~ Greetings from Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look lovely! And you seem to have "dropped" , I bet you are really close! Glad to hear your husband is home, who knows, maybe Rafael was waiting for his daddy to make his appearance. Such an exciting time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe that you are only 2 weeks away from your due date! Where has the time gone? Soon Raphael will be in these beautiful pictures of yours. I'm getting so excited! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look absolutely glorious! So glad your husband is home now and you can relax :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are absolutely beautiful. i remember when my son was quiet on a day, close to delivering. my doctor pulled out the yummiest chocolate, and handed me a piece. my sweet boy, began to dance inside. lol
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails