Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

This Woman Changed Me








There are people in this world who have a sudden and lasting affect on you. A picture of this woman struck me the other day on Pinterest. I followed it to her blog, Girl With Curves, and was instantly mesmerized by Tanesha Awasthi's charm, confidence, style, and beauty. 

As some of you know from previous posts, I used to have a very different figure. Sometimes I even shopped in the children's section because I was so thin! I have gained weight over the past few years, and having a child has of course changed my body as well. Recently I realized I was falling deeper and deeper into a slump. I wore yoga pants and sweatshirts nearly every day. All of my pretty clothes don't fit me anymore. But I kept thinking, "I'll buy new things once I've lost a little weight."

When I saw Girl With Curves it felt like a light bulb going off in my head. Why did I think I had to lose weight to dress nicely? Where did I get the notion that my style and beauty should be put on hold until I drop a few pounds? 

In magazines, and also on Pinterest, you see so many thin women modeling clothing, and I think the image gets ingrained in your mind: sexy, flattering clothing look good on skinny figures. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a trim woman wearing an outfit, and my reaction was, "Sure it looks great on her...look at her body. I could never pull that off with this figure!" 

Tanesha states that her biggest motivation for publishing her blog is to help curvaceous women understand that there is no piece of clothing that is taboo for them. Find pieces that are flattering and wear them with confidence. 

I haven't worn sleeveless dresses or shirts in years, not since my arms grew softer and rounder and didn't have those chiseled shoulders and biceps that so many Hollywood actresses sport these days anymore. Well, I headed to the mall and bought myself three sleeveless dresses yesterday! I always thought that, with my short, curvy legs, I couldn't pull of skinny jeans. Well, next time I go to the mall, I will be trying some on until I find a pair that fits me, and I promise myself to wear them with pride!

The funny thing is, after browsing the Girl With Curves gallery again and again over the past few days for motivation and inspiration, I saw a picture of a skinny model and she actually looked pretty strange to me. No feminine curves. Why had I always believed that this was the ideal?

The whole way I look at myself, and my body, has undergone a huge change, and I have Tanesha to thank for that.

xoxoxo

19 comments:

  1. ...and I THANK Tanesha with all my heart for giving my girl the bounce back...I so love your curves and have seen many very sexy looking women your age in all colors who dress in wonderful styles that are feminine and strong, courageous and ever so creative.
    So so happy to read this post...just had to connect with you and here it goes.
    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I love the first picture with the skirt and little black top...it looks super comfy and so well dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Mom! :) By the way, she lives in the Bay Area. Right in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that eShakti site seems to have super cute clothes. super affordable and you can customize? HELLO!!! I gotta try me some too...after living a happy home life I too am packing curves in all the apple shape places on my body...would you say Tanesha is a pear shape?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the most lovely pear shape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet post! Curves are feminine, thin and skeletal is not.

    Enjoy yourself as you have become.

    Thanks for the link, Tanesha is a lovely woman.

    Hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is wonderful, thanks for sharing!!! it is so difficult to love oneself just the way we are, as God made us, in the society we live in. media and the pictures in magazines,etc, almost allow our self esteems to just plumit deeper into a pit of comparison & not in a good way. What an inspiration Tanesha is!!! And if she can encourage your mind's processing, can you image what she is doing for other women as well?! Way to spread the word: beauty comes in ALL shapes and sizes and clothes are meant to be worn with confidence, no matter what your number is -- enjoy the beautiful gift of a body God gave you ... and I will try to do the same with mine. Thanks for this tonight, dawn, I needed it more than I realized!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so there with you! I actually did a post about this subject in regards to bathingsuits (and how I prefer the vintage look and a more vintage body style) and made my own pinterest board on the subject. I think curves are beautiful, and she looks stunning! You are so beautiful too. Its funny how we can be so hard on ourselves, we need to see the beauty now and not just appreciate it in old photos when its too late!~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go for it, Dawn! You are a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have found a wonderful outlook on accepting yourself! Not evey woman needs to look anorexic! I think the girl in the photos is absolutely sensual and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She has beautiful taste and great style!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are beautiful inside and out, my dear. So glad to hear you're embracing that beauty:). xox, Blair

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post! She is wonderfully inspiring. Before I had my babies, I was a pear. Post baby, I'm an apple! Unfortunately, I never embraced my pear shape but I'm determined to embrace my new apple shape!
    xoxoTrina

    ReplyDelete
  14. And the models in the magazines are airbrushed too, don't forget!
    Our bodies change as we get older and after having babies, that is just how it is! Just go with it, and enjoy your healthy body and how you look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Curves are cool!! We must love our bodies so our minds will agree! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great post Dawn! I personally think a woman with curves is more beautiful.... just like Renaissance paintings (Botticelli, birth of venus) . I'll have to check out this girl's blog.
    Oh and skinny jeans? Try the Gap! I have these in my online shopping cart - http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=2860070031202&cid=48599

    ReplyDelete
  17. and yes Tanesha is beautiful ..... so are you too (I've always thought that)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you!!!!!!!!!!! Love you Dawn!!! Real men LOVE curves! xo Joann

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just hate that plus sized clothes are often more expensive than "regular" clothes. I may be big, but my wallet isn't! Anyone know where to find affordable plus sized fashions?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails